e-mail info@slievebloom.ie         Telephone +353 86 2789147         Fax + 353 05791 37299
Home ButtonVillages ButtonActivities ButtonDining ButtonAccommodation ButtonWalking ButtonStorytelling ButtonFestivals and Events ButtonEnterprises ButtonLinks ButtonContact Button

Home > Villages > Killavilla > History

History of Killavilla

Stone Sculpture
In the early 1940’s Mr John Short Roe of Killavilla House attempted to remove a large prostrate boulder from one of his fields while ploughing. He discovered that the stone had formerly been erect and had a socket set into it, which obviously held something else. Due to the bulk and weight of the stone, he abandoned his attempts to remove it from the field and set it up again in its former position. Later, in the course of clearing the earth from around the socket-stone, he found a carved stone head buried in the soil at a depth of about 0.25m. The upper part of the head was pointed, rising to a peak above the forehead. The head was carved from a block of limestone measuring 37cm high by 18cm wide, and the back of the block was left unworked to form a sort of background and base to the carved part. It is thought that the head may have been an idol or cult image of the Early Iron Age. In 1944, the head was presented to the National Museum in Dublin.


Killavilla Stone
Known as the “Fairy Stone”, this is located alongside the avenue leading to Killavilla House. It originally stood near a ringfort in an adjoining field. It was moved to its present position in the 1970’s and great difficulty was encountered in the operation, with various mishaps befalling those involved.